List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] any governor support systems out there
From:       Paul Taylor <ptaylor () uklinux ! net>
Date:       2005-09-29 18:55:25

On Thursday 29 Sep 2005 13:26, John Steventon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Having seen the testing round starting it reminded me this resource was
> still around.
>
> I wondered if anyone had any information about open source solutions in
> two areas?
>
> 1. A governor' management system for clerks to Governors - basically
> organising governors, meetings, minutes, details, etc. I have heard of
> some commercial ones, often MS Access based, but nothing open.

I use eGroupWare at my school in conjunction with Mambo for document
management.  eGroupWare has a nice set of user levels so that people in
certain grouos can receive meeting alerts and specific e-mail and a project
tracking function can be used to keep everyone in the loop over on-going
issues and where they are in time/resolution.
On Mambo, you can set docs to be available only to registered users and you
can time delimit them so that minutes will be available only t those who
should see them and when they reach their time limit, they are no longer
published.
They are both relatively easy to set=up and constantly being improved.  The
forums are also excellent.
> 2. Anything in the document management area that automatically makes
> managing minutes, policies etc. easier, filing, finding, time managing
> and so on from the point of view of of the Freedom of Information Act
> where policies and data  has to be managed and kept for variable periods.
>
> A little vague I know but not something that I'm aware of all the
> ramifications as to what might be needed, but I wondered if anything
> like these had ben thought of / entered the school management open
> software arena yet?
>
> Regards

Paul

--