List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    [suse-linux-uk-schools] Linux in HE-FE
From:       Luke Maslany <l.maslany () cad ! coventry ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2005-09-29 12:33:34

Hello all,

Just a quick intro:

I have been dabbling with various Linux distributions for a couple of
years now, usually focusing on purpose-built distros, but it is only
recently that I've taken the plunge and installed it as my primary OS on
my work computer (actually my own from home; work's were too slow!), my
laptop and my home desktop machine.  For those that are interested my
distro of choice was SUSE 9.3 Professional.

In truth is hasn't been that much of a wrench as I have access to a
Win2003 terminal server so pretty much everything is still available
should I need it...

Back to my point:

I was wondering whether anyone uses Linux in a HE/FE environment?  I am
particularly interested in whether you have encountered problems when
asked to support educational solutions be they installables or web-based
resources (such as Learndirect courses)?

Does anyone have a requirement for Microsoft-specific applications such
as Visual Studio?

How about realistic alternatives for things like Adobe Photoshop and
AutoCAD?

While I guess these would be more applicable to Colleges I would have
thought that schools and Universities may have had to deal with such
issues?

How about users on the administrative network?  While OO seems like a
pretty suitable replacement for MSOffice (I'm still unsure abount an
MSAccess replacement) how do you deal with the mandatory Windows
software doled out by Government bodies such as the LEA?

Many thanks for your time,

Luke Maslany