List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Forceing suse 9.1 to use icewm over KDE
From:       Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2005-06-11 12:37:56

--- Rob Keeling <rob@rjkeeling.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> I am not sure if I can edit KDM or whatever to force this?

Well, I haven't used KDM since KDE 1.x days, but I believe now (with
kDE 3.x) that other window managers are picked up by way of .desktop
files.  Recent KDE versions usually come with a lot of these defined
for you.

You can probably find a list of them here:

/usr/share/apps/kdm/sessions

Looking at the KDE spec briefly, if you don't find one for icewm, then
you can probably create a new file that looks something like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=XSession
Exec=icewm-session
Name=icewm

Then it should just appear in the session list for you to choose.

Now of course, it might be that you'd rather have it defined on a
per-user basis, or you'd rather KDM launched icewm each time as the
default.  I'm no expert on KDE, but I believe that the file
"default.desktop" in the same location as the above .desktop files, and
using the same format mentioned above, is the one that's used by, well,
default.  :)

custom.destop, however, acts differently.  That should invoke a user's
~/.xsession file.  (It'll actually source /etc/X11/Xsession first, but
that checks to see if a user has a ~/.xsession or ~/.xserverrc file and
that'll get run before the main script does.)  If you've read the
reference to the StartX hantsLUG article in my last email, then you
should have something like this:

#!/bin/sh
#~/.xsession
#ENSURE this is "chmod +x ~/.xsession"