List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Modifiying squid acl`s via a teachers
From:       Rob Maltby <rob.maltby () virgin ! net>
Date:       2005-04-02 10:21:43

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:50:24 +0100
Rob Keeling <rob@rjkeeling.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> I have been asked if I can set up some way of turning internet access on
> or off in individual computer areas.

<snip>

We also use Censornet(v3.2) at our school. Because we also have county supplied \
filtering I set the censornet proxy to point at the county proxy and setup up a user \
'squid' with password on our active directory userlist. All computers were allocated \
to a group based on rooms. We are then able to turn on or off the rooms or individual \
computers within the rooms by way of the denied access buttons by the side of each \
computer name. This is instantaneous. By giving the teachers access to Censornet \
through a passworded webpage they are able to control their own class access. Our \
system is to default to 'OFF' unless required. Regularly scanning through the \
statistics to see the top ten most popular sites allows me to pick up and blacklist \
anything the kids like to view!! hope this helps

Rob Maltby