List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Modifiying squid acl`s via a teachers
From:       Rob Keeling <rob () rjkeeling ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-03-31 18:41:14

Tony Whitmore wrote:
> Rob Keeling wrote:
>
>> I have been asked if I can set up some way of turning internet access
>> on or off in individual computer areas.
>>
>> The idea would be that teacher logs on to a page on our intranet, to
>> enable/disable access for the lession.
>>
>> I have looked at the documentation for squid guard, which looks like I
>> can enable/disable the right bits and bobs,
>> but I don`t know if I can edit the config files with a php script and
>> things change without restarting squid/squidguard.
>>
>> Does anyone run anything simalar?
>

> Yup, we use CensorNet (www.censornet.com) which is a GPL project based
> on Debian. It allows us to "switch the internet on" (as the kids say)
> for lessons. We've set up each of our rooms on a separate profile that
> duplicates a week's timetable. The technicians set up the rooms for the
> day based on teacher's requests and it automatically switches on and off
> throughout the day. You can of course enable or disable access at
> shorter notice. The newer versions include a "manager" logon that would
> allow teachers to enable / disable access themselves. It's not as simple
> an interface as a "big red button", but they should be able to manage it
> with a little training.

Thanks for pointing this one out, I had looked ad censorNet, nice
looking package, though our firewall filtering etc is all county supplied.

I have installed squid & squidguard which might work, but it looks like
I have to re-start squid to reload the settings.

I think our it staff are after something that they can turn access on
and off again every 10 mins during lessons without affecting other rooms.

Any suggestions?

Rob Keeling