List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    [suse-linux-uk-schools] OO and exam boards
From:       Paul Taylor <ptaylor () uklinux ! net>
Date:       2004-06-30 22:05:43

I take everyone's points on board and I was rather devil's advocating (English
is such a wonderful language that you can invent words to suit..).  I am
pushing  Ingots at my SMT Ian but the same argument remains from Tony and
Thomas that it is tried and tested things that managemant want.  Many of the
school's I have worked at the leaders have been very thin on technical
knowledge so getting 60 more Windows boxes in is an easy option compared to a
suit of LTSP.
On Thomas's particular point that it is tried and tested I did say that
Edexcel's Units 24/25 can only really be taught by Cisco Academys and I know
there are not that many about.  I would say there are as many people
knowledgeable enough with Linux to teach it as there are Cisco Academys but
obviously pressure and money have been applied there.  On Joe's more specific
example that does not necessarily negate what I am saying as I too have
taught with Linux material and at a recent AQA moderation meeting I was told
that the chief moderator used LAMP stuff like Moodle but added that he didn't
really promote it.  People who use Linux are generally more computer savvy
and it would be a harsh examiner that penalised a student for something that
they obviously knew as much about or more than a moderator, regardless of
whether it was mentioned in the official syllabus.  This brings me back in a
way to Thomas's more general point that it relates to teachers.  He says that
in some way it relates to qualified teachers who can handle the units.  That
is only partly true.  All exam boards offer Programming as a portfolio unit
but I doubt there are more than 1% of schools in the country that have staff
that could teach it properly (or networking, CGI, Computer Accounts et al for
that fact).  I am no complete philanthropist and if I could write good C++ I
doubt I would be fighting teenage rebellions in my classroom day in day
out :)  I bet there are more than 1% of staff in schools in the UK who have
dabbled in Linux.  Every school I have so far taught at in the SW has had
some ICT teacher who has set up a Linux server for the school's web.
I suppose, again to answer Thomas's comments, I would create a unit to
supplement the other units offered by the boards.  As Joe points out, it is
easy to do database and networking units using Linux but only if you know a
bit about it.  Why not have a general Linux unit to support the other ones.
Every student could use Knoppix or similar (SuSE 9.1 live if this is still a
SuSE site post-Roger) and not make a mess of the school's network and as Joe
did (and in conjunction with Ian) everyone could write it up on OOo with
their knowledge acquired from Ingot training.

Paul
--
De Omnibus Dubitandum