List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] School use of OpenOffice.org
From:       Matt Johnson <johnsonmlw () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-05-18 11:04:40

> This technique failed to work with StarOffice -
> certainly it didn't work
> here, we had to do client installs. Not too much of
> an issue, but a
> nuisance. If it works with OpenOffice (and we
> haven't moved yet, will do
> soon), that will be very helpful.

What version? I assume SO6? How strange. I'm thinking
if there was anything else I did to get it working...

1. A "net" install to a world readable folder (server)

2. Ran the setup *from* that world readable folder as
a user. During this install I installed to the user's
home directory > MyWork > AppData (yes, it's RM 2.4
for those who recognise "MyWork"). It shouldn't make
any difference as long as it's somewhere sensible in
their home directory. Mandatory profiles could
possibly hose this up (?) - this would need to checked
as the OO user folder would be part of the user
profile? Hmmm.

3. Used OO.o as that user to make sure all was well.
Could setup up settings you want to roll out at this
point I reckon.

4. Copied the sversion.ini file from the home
directory too. This needs to be copied into all users.
Found this file in AppData here. Copied to everyone's
AppData.

5. Copied the OO.o user directory from the user I
setup with to all users (in my case - just all users
in Year 5 - but that's because I teach a year 5 class
and wanted to see what happened first!).

We've been using draw for 3 weeks and all's well. Very
well. It's flippin' brilliant. We do get an occasional
message regarding simultaneous use of the user files.
This is odd because each user has their own copy. It
appears to make no difference whatsoever, and I've
only seen the message twice in three weeks across 84
users.

> The size of the folder to be copied is also an
> important factor.

Yes - was very important here too. Still is important
as we haven't put it across 600 users. The manual
claims more needed than seems to be actually used.
It's less than 2mb per user here. Allow for just over
3mb in the manual if my memory serves.

***But the convenience of not having to install on any
clients is a dream come true.*** The kids in Year 5
can use it on any computer. I just dropped an shortcut
to the .exe located in *their AppData folder* onto the
Year 5 desktop. Maybe this is an important point? They
run it from their folder.

I would stress these are W98 clients. XP problems were
mentioned earlier on this list. I've not had time to
experiment...

Hope this helps.

--
Matt