List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] RE: [Maybe Spam]
From:       j_low <j_low () stmaryshall ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-03-10 16:02:56

At 11:43 25/02/04 +0000, you wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 11:07, Steve Palmer wrote:
> > We got one too. If we don't answer it we can be teh
> > summoned! @_@
> >
> > Looks like they're deadly serious about it anyway.
>
> If they were not serious, they wouldn't be doing a full investigation.
> It costs them a lot to do an investigation so they don't start it unless
> they are pretty sure there is a case to answer. The problem for MS is
> that its not just this country. Schools agreement works in more or less
> the same way in other countries so if it gets changed here it will also
> likely have to get changed elsewhere. It surprises me a bit that they
> don't simply change the agreement to say all computers running any
> Microsoft products. That would sort it out and make very little
> practical difference to their current revenue. There are only three
> reasons why they don't
>
> 1.) They believe that the OFT will find in their favour
> 2.) They are arrogant and think that even if the OFT find against them
> they will be able to tough it out with delays and other tactics until
> the problem goes away
> 3.) They really are paranoid about letting Linux in and would rather
> fight the OFT than lower the barriers even a small amount.
>
> Maybe its a combination of all 3. I guess the only reason the OFT would
> back off is if in sending out letters to schools, they all say they have
> no interest in Linux at all and so MSSA is not a consideration in its
> use. OTOH if even a significant minority say we might have tried Linux
> but its not worth it because we are on MSSA.
>
> The worry is that many schools don't know the implications of MSSA in
> that they have to pay a license fee annually for any pentium based PC
> even if its not running MS software. So they may be unaware that they
> can't use Linux without counting the Linux boxes in the annual total.
> Like I said, in some ways the monopoly is so entrenched it makes
> gathering evidence against it more difficult! eg a school might say
> yikes, if MSSA is declared void isn't this going to put my software
> costs up? I'd better say nowt.

I spoke to the IT manager of one major school today who moreorless said
just that!  Their view seemed be be that they had thousands of pounds worth
of MS software very cheaply and wouldn't want to rock the boat.

John

Fact is we don't know what will happen if
> MSSA is declared void but in the overall scheme of things competition
> usually forces prices down, it just might not immediately in a
> particular sector. I hope the OFT realise how complex and far-reaching
> this monopoly is.
>
> If anyone would like to make these or any other comments the E-mail
> address of the investigating officer is edward.anderson@oft.gsi.gov.uk.
> Other contact details are
>
> Mr E Anderson
> Principal Case Officer
> Media, Sports & Information Industries
> Office of Fair Trading
> Fleetbank House
> 2-6 Salisbury Square
> London
> EC4Y 8JX
> Tel: 020 7211 8343
> Fax: 020 7211 8354
>
> Regards,
> --
> ian <ian.lynch2@ntlworld.com>
>

> --

This e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom \
it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and \
do not represent those of St Mary's Hall.