List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Office software and exam boards
From:       "Darren Smith" <darren () icthelp ! biz>
Date:       2003-12-31 13:41:47

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Rothwell" <raroth42@yahoo.co.uk>
To: <suse-linux-uk-schools@suse.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 12:00 PM

> A while back I asked for information about any cases
> where the examination boards _required_ schools to use
> specific proprietary software for their syllabuses or
> examinations.  I did not get any direct evidence, if
> anyone has anything to add please let me know.

I have never come across this but you could have a look at all of this
information on their websites.

> HOWEVER
>
> I am aware that some of the examiners for this
> summer's GCSEs will be following marking schemes that
> are Microsoft specific.

Obviously you can't be specific here but if you could provide some broad
examples of the kinds of things you mean  - that would be helpful. I can't
really get wound up about it without having a little more information. The
only examples I have seen that may fit along these lines are the 'how to'
questions. How do you insert an image into a DTP document, for example. The
questions are never app specific and IIRC the mark scheme was fairly generic
for these types of answers and went through the steps rather than the menu
names.

Darren