List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools]  BECTa's spec on laptops for teachers
From:       "Paul Hornshaw" <paul.hornshaw () blueyonder ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-12-28 19:20:53

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adrian Wells" <adrian@spannerhammer.co.uk>
To: "SuSe" <suse-linux-uk-schools@suse.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2003 10:07 AM
Subject: Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] BECTa's spec on laptops for
teachers

> > Why? Realistically, do they sit in a cupboard for the
> > hols (honestly?)...
>
> Clearly not! There are two issues.
>
> *People treat laptops worst than pool motor cars, they are usually
subjected
> to even more careless misuse during the long teacher holidays and come
back
> with damaged drives, cases & screens and it's not unusual to have to
empty
> them of sand! legitimate use? Why should they and their kids mess up a
> resource that is then denied to others because of their stupidity and
> carelessness. If ya wanna mess with stuff (expensive kit that doesn't
belong
> to you) , buy yer own!

T'was ever thus -- even in industry.  I remeber when a boss got a new
laptop and I was given the job of sanitising it before redeployment.
Spent hours playing his gold games before I fdisked.  LMAO

> *The weakest point in ANY network is a laptop! The network's all cosy,
> clean, virus fee and sitting behind a fire wall, then suddenly
meltdown!
> Some dipstick who knows best has loaded all kinds of everything onto
the
> laptop and disabled the AV because their kids game doesn't like
sharing a
> computer with any other software (because the rules don't apply to
them) and
> then decided to plug it into the network - cool!
>
> We like to have a clean-up and software update while the machine is
not
> needed, then we sit them in a secure cupboard so they're ready for use
when
> really needed :-) Of course if we don't get them during the holiday,
we have
> to do it during term time!
>
> And in any case, why should a sacred few have exclusive access to what
is a
> shared school resource during the holiday? Come on you lot, who swans
about
> in the school minibus and have all your fuel and repair bills paid for
by
> the school?
>

> >I've often noticed many of those who work within 'fortress education'
> >like to believe they are the only ones who know anything about IT.

You mean like the way Charles Clarke is rumoured to rely upon the
technical advice of his offspring when  formulating ICT policy.  (I am
not joking!)

> Boring! (nothing personal David, but it's one of my bandwagons!) The
BIG
> problem with IT is that everyone who owns a PC thinks they know
everything
> about it. How sadly untrue this is (me included) that's not to say
that we
> don't have our views! The sooner we remove PC's from the mass public
and
> replace them with a 'box to do a job' the better (Computing used to be
like

> witchcraft and I was one of the first advocates to get a computer into
every
> home and demystify it, long before the PC - now I see the error of my
ways)
> . The less tinkering and options to change the better. It you have a
> PlayStaion and a PC in your house, which is the most stable, the one
you
> fiddle with or the one you can't. If we could stop the fiddling all
would be
> smooth and headache free! Want a game? plug in a module, want a WP?
plug in
> a module :-) I mean, tell me, why do you need to change the background
> colour of your folders and desktop? As for PC's in schools... The
horses are
> slowing, time to jump off and take my tablets! :-)

ROFLMAO

Are you sure you should be on a linux mail list?  You luddite!  You
sound like an apologist for M$; you can have any OS so long as its
Windoze.