List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    [suse-linux-uk-schools] This list
From:       Chris Puttick <chris () centralmanclc ! com>
Date:       2003-09-25 21:17:26

Hi

As a result of a core network failure on a scale I hope none of you ever
have to face, I've only just had the delightful experience of reading
today's developments of "wont run as root". I have to say some of it
appalled me. Andrew (Nix, not Ray!) has made it clear a number of times that
he is new to Linux; he joined this list on my suggestion as it is intended
to help those trying to make Linux a solution in the UK schools environment,
and I do not have either enough time or enough knowledge to resolve all the
problems he comes across by being both a Linux "newbie" and supporting a
cutting edge environment.

To give some background, the Linux thin client network that faces our Mr Nix
every working day is one of the biggest in the world (no exaggeration); it
is also one of the only large-scale Linux deployments in an English school.
Because of the realities of the British education system, there has been
neither enough time or money to provide Andrew and his colleague with the
training that they ideally would have had to support such a solution. This
list provides them with access to essential front-line knowledge to make
their position vaguely tenable.

Those that are helped tend to become the helpers of the future; this is the
primary advantage to me of utilising open source solutions - there's always
someone slightly ahead of you who can help you the next step up the ladder,
empowering you to then help those below.

Don't take this personally, Thomas, but your answers have become
increasingly complex, difficult to understand and are often not the simplest
solution. Occam's razor is a simple tool for simple people like myself;
please think about using it. In the thread in question, Garry gave a simple
and effective answer which I personally was unaware of and have stored away
for future use. While your discussion with our Mr Ray has been enlightening
in parts, if I had read it 2 years ago it would have made very little sense
and been of no use. And that's the point; on this list, unlike some others,
answers need to be of use and preferably immediate. That's why people join,
to ask for help. Moreover, by its very nature, many people joining will be
very new to Linux, and possibly have little general technical understanding;
those of us who can help do. When we can't help, we look forward to answers
from those with more knowledge.

As always, this is just IMNSHO (in my not so humble opinion!).

Chris