List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] KDE has no fonts............ or so i think?
From:       Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2003-09-15 13:59:38

 --- MJ Ray <markj@cloaked.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > On 2003-09-15
14:32:48 +0100 Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > mkdir -p /etc/init.d/nomore && mv /etc/init.d/xfs /etc/init.d/nomore
>
> Careful if you do this.  Most distributions have tools to manage init
> scripts.  In debian, it is update-rc.d that can do this ("update-rc.d
> -f remove xfs" would stop it being run at startup, IIRC).

Yes, in debian it is "update-rc.d -f remove xfs", and indeed, point taken
about this.

> For
> Mandrake, the mandrake control centre can manage them.  Moving the
> underlying script with mv may leave dangling symlinks (pointers to the
> script's old location) in the startup process and may cause non-fatal
> errors.

The only symlinks that will be left dangling are those for SXX and KXX
(for the default init-level defined in /etc/inittab. Of course, RC.S is
intelligent enough to realise that if a symlink is dead, to carry on and
not bomb out. I take your point though, with severity, and it should not
be used too often.

That is to say that it is not safe, one could for example, one could edit
/etc/init.d/xfs and do:

---------------------------
#!/bin/bash

#### disable
logger "/etc/init.d/xfs has been disabled" && exit 0;

right at the top of the script. Using "logger" is a nice touch here for
syslogd, too :)

> If you can find the tool details in your manuals, it's
> probably better to use it.

Agreed, but in this instance, it is ok :) And, for the record, TMTOWTDI.

-- Thomas Adam

=====
Thomas Adam

"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- www.linuxgazette.com