List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] network printers
From:       Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2003-07-31 10:49:49

 --- Andrew Nix <andrew.nix@st-paulshigh.manchester.sch.uk> wrote:

> Does cups recognise printers that arent installed using cups? because i
> installed one using tcp direct printing and when i clicked the link to
> configure cups. It takes me to a page showing the printers i just
> installed. Also how do i create groups for a printer? Well it seems i
> need
> to create a new group then specify that it gives members use to
> printers?

CUPS will only know about the printers you tell it. Once you have done
that, then printing files is quite easy. I suggest you look here:

http://linuxgazette.com/issue90/ward.html

for step-by-step instructions.

As for the group things...

I have already said that the printer will be listed in "/dev" as say:

/dev/lp/0

depending on how your printer is connected. Thus I have already told you
in a previous e-mail how to do the group/perm stuff :)

HTH,

-- Thomas Adam

=====