List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Samba: Read-Only, but writing allowed?
From:       Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2003-07-15 11:49:04

 --- Dug Stokes <dst@gilberd.essex.sch.uk> wrote:

> Is there ANY way in Samba (or even Windows... Bleugh!) - to have a read
> only
> share, yet anyone can write - but any writing is ignored? E.g. redirect
> all
> writing to /dev/null or something!?

Well, yes there is. Here is what I would do....

On the Linux box, create a group say: "trustees", thus:

groupadd trustees

Make all your users who can write to it a member of that group (using Yast
here would help you, as I doubt editing "/etc/groups" directly is your
idea of fun).

Then on the partition to which you're mounting, issue the following
command:

chmod 546 -Rv ./the_directory && chown -Rv root.trustees ./the_directory

That *should* give everyone write access (for those in your group) and
read access to anyone else. Now, if this is just a transient dump of
information, you can issue the following command as a cron-job

1 * * * * *  rm -fr /the/directory/* >& /dev/null 2>&1

Which would wipe everything out, each minute.

As to whether it would work, I'm not sure, but you can try it :)

HTH,

-- Thomas Adam (innovative solutions :) )

=====
Thomas Adam

"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- www.linuxgazette.com