List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Adding a second ADSL link
From:       "Alan Davies" <staff.asd () birkenhead ! wirral ! sch ! uk>
Date:       2003-05-21 8:34:14

I use Easynet too - and have noticed a serious degredation in service
over the last year, probably due to contention.

Day times - especially around midday we find our bandwidth falls
to little better than ISDN rates which would indicate almost complete
useage by all contending clients.  maybe Easynet group all schools
onto the same DSLAM switch.

I have looked at Demon's contention of 5:1 which should be better but
I suspect that all users subscribing to that would be heavy users - possibly
at other times as well as midday - although it might make the upload better
which we use for VPN access for external clients such as staff and some pupils.

--
Alan Davies
Head of Computing