List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Linux equivalents of Windows software
From:       Chris Howells <chrish () gmx ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-04-08 12:18:27

Hi,

On Tuesday 08 April 2003 11:01, Mark Evans wrote:

> Things were an equivalent isn't obvious.
>
> GENERAL
>
> MS Access 2000

You could take a look at kexi, http://www.koffice.org/kexi. At the moment
you'll have to grab it out of CVS I think, or use one of the snapshot
tarballs on ftp.kde.org somewhere.

> MATHS
>
> Geomat
> possibly kgeo will work as a replacement

KGeo is dead and it didn't have a maintainer; a fully functioning replacement
called Kig is in its place. Its web site is http://edu.kde.org/kig.

> MEDIA
>
> Pinnacle
> Video editing software with ability to interface
> via firewire

There are various video editing programs, one which comes to mind is Kino.

> MUSIC
>
> Cubase
> Sequencer software

Rosegarden maybe.

> TECHNOLOGY
>
> Quickroute
> PCB design program from www.quickroute.co.uk
> apparently now superceded by Electronic Design
> Studio

chris@galadriel:~$ apt-cache search pcb
pcb - Printed Circuit Board Design Program
gerbv - Gerber file viewer for PCB design

Don't know how good they are though.

- --
Cheers, Chris Howells -- chris@chrishowells.co.uk, howells@kde.org
Web: http://chrishowells.co.uk, PGP ID: 33795A2C