List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] NFS SUSE 8.1
From:       Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2003-02-25 17:36:39

 --- steven thomas <horiss@yahoo.com> wrote: >
> Trying to set up a small trial network using 8.1
> with
> NFS and NIS. NIS is OK with users just installed on
> the server. Using console on a client I can log in
> as
> any user and change directories. However, using KDE
> usually get a "no write access to $HOME directory
> (/home/carlos)"

Make sure that the $HOME directory of the user you are
trying to login as (in this case "carlos") is set as:

(these commands are entered as "root")

chmod 700 /home/carlos
chown carlos.users /home/carlos

> I have (using the SUSE tools) exported /Home and
> /Usr.I have also changed permission on the /home and
> /usr to RW.

:-) Careful here, since setting "/Home" to "rw" can be
detrimental. Make sure that the directories are safe.

> I am at a bit of a loss.I have managed to log on as
> couple of usersusing KDE and can save a file but
> have
> trouble accesing it again as I am denied permission.

This is most likely due to the fact that your UID that
you're logging in from, is not the same as the UID
that you're connecting to when writing files.

On your client machine, type:

id $USER

(replacing $USER with "carlos)

and then run the same command on the nfs server

Make sure that both UID's match. If they don't, save
change of the "/etc/passwd" files so that they do
match.

> Slowly going barmy looking at "exports..." I have
> also
> tried WEBMIN but same results. It shouldn't have to
> be

WEBMIN only provides a facet to the nfs system -- it
doesn't change it in anyway. So I wouldn't expect it
to work with WEBMIN :-)

What is the structure of your "/etc/exports" file?
This file is ****extremely**** sensitive to
whitespace. Make sure that you have NO space between
the host and the stuff in brackets, e.g. all clauses
should look like this:

/dir/path(......)

Try adding the "no_root_squash" parameter into the
above clauses in the "/etc/exports" file and then run:

exportfs -a

afterwards!!

> this hard especially as SUSE gives you the client
> and
> server NFS tools!
>
> What files should I export to get KDE/Gnome to work.
> have looked on Google, books and the web but no one
> seems to be able to give an answer to this rather
> "simple" admin problem.

Take a look at "NFS-Howto" at:

http://www.linuxdocs.org

they have a very good "Trouble-Shooting" section
there, if my ideas haven't worked :-)

HTH

-- Thomas Adam

=====