List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    [suse-linux-uk-schools] software raid 8.0
From:       Mike Rees <suse () glanymor ! carms ! sch ! uk>
Date:       2003-02-25 14:55:36

Hi

I've just set up a server with 4 new 9Gb SCSI drives and using software
raid to mirror them.  Everythings working fine, the drives are all synced.
This is my problem.  While setting up the raids, it wouldn't let me raid
the /boot parition.

This how the paritions are set up at the moment.  I've obviously got a
partition spare (sdb2) the same size as sda2 with nothing on it.

/dev/md0                /
/dev/sda2               /boot
/dev/md1                /home
/dev/md2                /export

Should I have partioned differently?
Can I change it?
What would happen if sda fails?
Should I manually mirror /boot to the spare partition?

I don't mind(!!) having to start from scratch if it'll give me more peace
of mind.

Thanks.

--

Mike Rees