List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    [suse-linux-uk-schools] Yast2 passwords
From:       Matt Johnson <johnsonmlw () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2003-01-24 13:59:18

Some pointers, reassurance or advice please...

This effects me putting SuSE as the main file server
in a school...

I want to use Yast2 (either text or graphical) to add
users. With SuSE 7.1 etc, good ol' Yast (1) would let
you create a user with no password (gulp). I don't
want the children in this _infant_ department to have
passwords.... so how can I get Yast2 to except a null
password?

I'd rather do it in Yast2 then another solution if
possible - my reason being I suppose ignorance and
fear of the unknown... i.e. that I don't fully
understand all the implications for creating users and
I *know* and *trust* Yast2 to do it right specifically
for a *SuSE* installation. I could use this script or
that, or webmin, but does it do it right for *SuSE*? I
don't understand MD5 (?), Kerberos etc. I just want to
put names into Yast2 and have it do it for me ;)

Thanks in advance.

--
Matt