List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    [suse-linux-uk-schools] Apache authentication
From:       Bill Antonia <at () beacon ! e-sussex ! sch ! uk>
Date:       2002-12-18 12:25:38

Hi All

I'm having problems setting authentication on any, repeat, any apache web
server. Following the book I have and viewing the apache website I have created
the the following .htaccess file and placed it in the directory concerned.

AuthType Basic
AuthName "221 Monitor"
AuthUserFile /usr/local/httpd/valid/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
Require user bill

I have also created the corresponding .htpasswd file in the path shown above
containing the user bill and corresponding encrypted password.

Starting from loading a web browser and trying the URL, it allows me to obtain
the page without any authentication. Placing the above section of text in the
/etc/httpd/httpd.conf file, enclosed between
<directory /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/monitor> </directory>
I am challenged for username/password pair but am not allowed to obtain the
html pages I wish to view, even though I know the username/password pair are
correct.

Any clues?
--
Regards