List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Help requested on DNS problem
From:       Malcolm Herbert <mherbert () redhat ! com>
Date:       2002-09-30 21:22:02

On Mon, 2002-09-30 at 19:44, D Garside wrote:

> My problem is that the outside world cannot see us.  I have assigned the two
> IP addresses given to me by the ISP to the router and outward facing port of
> my firewall but although I can travel out (therefore the connection is
> working) nothing can see me.  My ISP thinks that the problem is a DNS issue.
>
> I (foolishly?) used my BECTA registered address myschool.LEA.sch.uk which
> Demon (ISP) know me by.  However they argue that because LEA.sch.uk is not
> registered with anyone no-one has domain authority to forward stuff to me -
> there is a gap between sch.uk and myschool.LEA.sch.uk.

no third level domains were allocated directly to ISPs, these were
retained by Nominet AFAIK, even LEAs who run their own ISP service for
schools have to run the domain for each school (fourth level domains),
hence Worcestershire currently runs 45 odd domains for it schools

> Does this sound reasonable?  I wonder if I haven't made a complete hash (pun
> intended) of my sendmail, DNS etc setup, but I am O'Reillyed out and would
> welcome advice from a fresh angle. (I half suspect I have gaping security
> holes the size of Micro$ofts ethical defecit!)

no security holes, just need to check how the domain is currently set
up,  From a Linux box you can use the 'dig' and 'whois' command. let us
know the domain and we can check it out

Malcolm