List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    [suse-linux-uk-schools] Help requested on DNS problem
From:       "D Garside" <darren.garside1 () virgin ! net>
Date:       2002-09-30 18:44:47

Hi,

I've reached the limit of my (v. limited) knowledge and suspect the fault
could be down a number of different factors.

I have a functioning file-sharing class C network (192.168.1.x) , using
samba, based on a linux server running kernel 2.5 (SuSe 7.3).

I have configured sendmail so that we have internal email and we can access
the net via our firewall box (smoothwall) and router.  We are able to send
surf and emails out into the world (route:  network (192.168.1.x) ->
firewall -> router -> ISP (Demon)).

My problem is that the outside world cannot see us.  I have assigned the two
IP addresses given to me by the ISP to the router and outward facing port of
my firewall but although I can travel out (therefore the connection is
working) nothing can see me.  My ISP thinks that the problem is a DNS issue.

I (foolishly?) used my BECTA registered address myschool.LEA.sch.uk which
Demon (ISP) know me by.  However they argue that because LEA.sch.uk is not
registered with anyone no-one has domain authority to forward stuff to me -
there is a gap between sch.uk and myschool.LEA.sch.uk.

Does this sound reasonable?  I wonder if I haven't made a complete hash (pun
intended) of my sendmail, DNS etc setup, but I am O'Reillyed out and would
welcome advice from a fresh angle. (I half suspect I have gaping security
holes the size of Micro$ofts ethical defecit!)

Darren Garside
Freshford Primary School