List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    [suse-linux-uk-schools] Bit of a Slapper!
From:       "Bruce Miller" <mail () brucemiller ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-09-17 18:27:11

I suspect that lots of you have already heard about this new 'Slapper' virus
that busily turning our Linux / Apache machines into some kind of evil
beowulf. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2263693.stm)

This idea of 'grid computing' seems to be gaining ground quite rapidly
though. I have read a few articles on it and now find myself with a few
P166's and an old hub to play with.

The idea of building a beowulf has appealed for quite a while. What appeals
even more, is getting 166's to use some kind of 'slapper' style integration
with the main network and harness all the idle cycles on the under-used new
gigahertz, now entry level, machines that occupy corners in the school.

Anyone tried this yet? Does this idea make sense? It should be practical, I
would have thought.

I will keep people posted, if I get it to work. Maybe some people know of a
few pitfalls though, before I start.

Regards to all, Bruce Miller.