List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    [suse-linux-uk-schools] 286's as X-terms
From:       Simon Wood <Simon.Wood () pace ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-09-06 10:19:50

Hi,
There is some discussion of turning 286's into psuedo-xterms (using VNC run
on top of Nano-X) on Elks and Nano-X mailing lists.

Elks networking at present is SLIP, but expect to go ethernet at some point.

My question is whether there is a 'mass market' for this? Do schools have
a large supply of 286 (or even 386) machines sitting in cupboards that
could usefully be used as X terminals??

I expect that this sort of project may be more suited to the third world
where the latest hardware is just too expensive.

Simon Wood.