List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] problem with xinit, chooser and dhcp
From:       Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-07-28 21:05:00

 --- Simon Wood <Simon.Wood@pace.co.uk> wrote: > Hi
all,
> I'm having problems getting my xinit/chooser setup
> working properly,
> and was hoping that someone knows a solution or can
> suggest something
> to try.
>
> What I have set up is xinit running on the local
> machine (laptop), but
> without a Xserver entry. I then start 'X -indirect
> w.x.y.z' from inittab.

How have you set it up in inittab?? I use something
like:

x:5:repawn:/usr/bin/X -broadcast 192.168.0.1

that way, if the X process dies, inittab will restart
it for me.

> This works with varying success. I'm doing this so
> that I can either work
> locally on the laptop or use it as an X terminal
> onto another machine.

Yep :-)

> The main problem is that the IP is DHCP'ed and this
> seems to cause
> confusion.

I don't see how. DHCP should handle requests to any IP
address. Have you got routing enabled?

> If I use the loopback I can see 'myself' and other
> machines, but can't
> log into other machines (I assume that they get
> confused by 127.0.0.1).

lol, no 127.0.0.1 is a *special* IP address which is
reserved only for the local machine. This cannot be
seen outside of the machine your working on, since the
"lo" (loopback device) is present on every machine,
and so is specific.

> If I use an allocated IP (which is a fixed value at
> home) then I can
> log into all (both) machines.

Just as I was excpecting.

> However the DHCP IP at work is more dynamic and has
> the potential to
> change.
>

> Two questions.
> 1). Can someone confirm why the 127.0.0.1 fails, as
> this is the more
> logical one to use (I think).
>
> 2). Can anyone suggest a way of automatically
> altering the value for
> inittab, bear in mind that the network may come
> up/be ejected after
> the machine has booted (as it's pcmcia) and can
> change when DHCP
> license expires.

errm.....yes and no. what you could do, is write a
shell wrapper which inittab calls and checks for the
exit status of "/etc/init.d/network status". If it is
"up" then do nothing else, if not start the network
service which in turn starx X on the client via the
-direct command.

Sorry if this is vague. If you mail me off list, I can
help further. Or you can phone me on:

(01460) 271333

--Thomas Adam

> I'm running on Debian, which I suppose makes it a
> little naughty posting
> to Suse-Schools.... Thanks in advance,
> Simon Wood
>

> --