List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    [suse-linux-uk-schools] problem with xinit, chooser and dhcp
From:       Simon Wood <Simon.Wood () pace ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-07-24 13:20:43

Hi all,
I'm having problems getting my xinit/chooser setup working properly,
and was hoping that someone knows a solution or can suggest something
to try.

What I have set up is xinit running on the local machine (laptop), but
without a Xserver entry. I then start 'X -indirect w.x.y.z' from inittab.

This works with varying success. I'm doing this so that I can either work
locally on the laptop or use it as an X terminal onto another machine.

The main problem is that the IP is DHCP'ed and this seems to cause
confusion.

If I use the loopback I can see 'myself' and other machines, but can't
log into other machines (I assume that they get confused by 127.0.0.1).

If I use an allocated IP (which is a fixed value at home) then I can
log into all (both) machines.

However the DHCP IP at work is more dynamic and has the potential to
change.

Two questions.
1). Can someone confirm why the 127.0.0.1 fails, as this is the more
logical one to use (I think).

2). Can anyone suggest a way of automatically altering the value for
inittab, bear in mind that the network may come up/be ejected after
the machine has booted (as it's pcmcia) and can change when DHCP
license expires.

I'm running on Debian, which I suppose makes it a little naughty posting
to Suse-Schools.... Thanks in advance,
Simon Wood