List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    [suse-linux-uk-schools] Samba & permissions
From:       Matt Johnson <johnsonmlw () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-07-21 18:55:56

Some advice needed please:

Is is generally better to (1) try to mainly use native
linux permissions to retrict access to a samba server
by windows clients, or (2) leave native permissions
reasonably slack, using instead smb.conf to restrict
access, or (3) a combination of both?

Also, is there somewhere that documents what native
permissions and actual directory structures an
administrator should setup on a samba server to be
used as a PDC. i.e. Is there a standard place to put
netlogon? I bet I have it in the wrong place on the
linux box, but it's worked fine. I have it at
/netlogon, but should it be further down a path
somewhere. I have similar questions: I can find the
howto's but I'm looking for a documented directory
stucture and native permissions, along with the
relevant smb.conf.

Thanks for any pointers.

--
Matt Johnson