List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Preinstalled Windows: AARGH! I can't get it off!
From:       "Frank Shute" <frank () esperance-linux ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-05-09 13:08:51

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 09:31:06AM +0100, Gary wrote:

> On Tuesday 07 May 2002 11:54 pm, Frank Shute wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > Which is why I believe I'm not breaking the law by running one
> > licensed copy of NT on 2 different machines, laptop & workstation,
> > because to my mind it constitutes fair use the same way you can copy
> > an audio CD for personal use.
>
> I thought that was still breaking copyright?

I think I remember reading a court case where the copying of LPs
(I think you're too young to remember those Gary;) to tape was
considered fair game.

> > I must write to Microsoft and ask them to sue me, might be fun.
> >
> > Goes without saying IANAL. I'd like to hear others opinions on the
> > `fair use' argument I've espoused here.
> >
> > Don't schools copy some sections of printed educational material and
> > isn't that also considered fair use? Where do you draw the line? Why's
> > software considered so different from other data?
>
> Back when I was at school, (yes they did have schools then), staff used to
> copy parts of reference manuals, text books etc., but even then they kney
> that they were actually breaking copyright law.
>
> Unless the law's changed since then it's still illegal to photocopy
> copyrighted material without the express permission of the copyright owner.

I thought that if the school had a copy(s) of the book in their library
then copying bits of it eg. for setting questions etc. was also fair
use. I certainly haven't heard of schools being busted for doing so
and I can't imagine the author of a school textbook being willing to
support such an action nor the publisher for that matter.

It's another one of those grey areas regards copyright I think.

--

 Frank

   Boroughbridge.
 Tel: 01423 323019
     ---------
PGP keyID: 0xC0B341A3

http://www.esperance-linux.co.uk/

"Yes, and I feel bad about rendering their useless carci into dogfood..."
-- Badger comics