List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] new and exciting samba errors in log
From:       Andrew Ray <aray () computerpark ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-04-12 16:57:52

> This other samba box was suddenly being _really_ slow
> (7 - 10 mins for a logon), so I went to investigate
> (15 miles away). The log had apparently 'filled up',
> so it was spewing errors to the console.

I suspect a resource is not correctly defined.  What happens if you run testparm?  Do \
all your services / shares pass?

If they do, then it is probably worth looking at the Linux permissions on the shared \
folders.  My suspicion is that one of the standard resources (netlogon, print$, if \
you use it) is playing up.  The opportunistic lock break failure message you're \
receiving indicates that Samba is not relinquishing a resource it *should* have \
finished with.  Netlogon is the most likely of these, but there may be others.

Try changing the debug level assigned to samba - for instance, by doctoring the \
/etc/init.d/smb script and then restart smaba and try a few logins, while running

tail -f /var/log/log.smb

on an available terminal screen.  This will give you a realtime view of what is \
happening and when.  Maybe that way you can provide a few more clues.

> Any ideas much appreciated. Anyone had this before?
> Are some of these messages normal?

Not in my experience.

Andrew