List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Website and childrens pictures
From:       "Paul" <smartart () smartart ! uk ! co>
Date:       2002-03-23 12:37:10

----- Original Message -----
From: "Grainge, Derek" <DGG@wellington-college.berks.sch.uk>
<suse-linux-uk-schools@suse.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2002 11:28 AM

> > Could someone please advise me on the following,
> >
> > I am thinking of designing some pages for Paignton Rugby
> > Club, they have
> > their Colts, and adult side pictures on the net,  I would
> > like to add some
> > of the junior and Mini players,  along with results, I am
> > aware there are
> > guidelines for this,  however I am not sure if they apply
> > just to schools.
>
> A photograph constitutes personal information so I would imagine it
falls
> within the Data Protection Act.   Get permission from those on it. Or
their
> parents.
>
> Kids photos on the internet?   Make sure they are not identifiable by
name.
> Sad, isn't it?

Just as an after thought to the good advice offered by Derek:

Copyright of photographs is held by the photographer (considered to be a
creation) unless it is an assigned task by an employer or taken under a
commercial "assignment" contract.  It can be a bit of a minefield
regarding amateur publication but the best way to avoid problems is
through the use of a "Model Release" form; examples of these can be
found in most good photoghrphic magazines every month.

Add the form to the rugby club membership form and you should not have
any problems, providing you don't publish pics of kids that haven't got
a signed model release form.

HTH and good luck with the club.
 --
Paul Hornshaw