List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    RE: [suse-linux-uk-schools] The changing face of ICT
From:       "Bruce Miller" <mail () brucemiller ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-02-05 23:13:40

As a post script to my earlier missive:

I am still finding my feet with Linux. It seems to me though, that there are
a lot of people trying to make the whole thing a slicker and more GUI
driven. Compare www.debian.org to www.xandros.com who have built upon the
Debian then Corel distro. Even the name Debian is a bit naff now. ((Debra
and Ian)4ever) Well intended in it's day but we need to get much slicker,
much sharper and much more professional.

Ok, text only interface, 640x480 x256 colours are still used by third world
and poorer countries. We still need to address the issues that these people
have. However, the other side of the coin is that Broadband Britain is
happening, albeit slowly, but it is happening. Where does Linux fit in with
these new horizons?

We have Gimp. What else does Linux have though? What is there in the line of
Macromedia Flash? Is there an equivalent to Dream Weaver? What about 3D Max
and AutoCAD and Adobe illustrator? Do we have any good DTP software like
Quark or even to match MS Publisher. I know Corel have dabbled but this has
all been discontinued it seems.

Does any one know anything about these ? Are they available or are people
still hankering after text interfaces and command line OS's and there is
nothing doing ?

Bruce.