List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] LTSP
From:       Malcolm Herbert <mherbert () redhat ! com>
Date:       2002-01-31 10:58:25

hi all.....

OckerHill LTSP case study at:-

http://people.redhat.com/mherbert

---------------------------------
key issues:-
- 386/486 are ok in theory, but usually in practice defeated by the
Graphics cards. Go for P75 minimum
- 16Mb RAM is ok, but StarOffice, GIMP and window movement can be
'blocky'. 32Mb no problem
- 3c509 network cards (10Mb) are great, can supply them, with bootroms
via Sandwell LEA
- LTSP servers _do_ need tuning....file max in particular
- look to use the latest K12LTSP release (currently Gamma) or the recent
LTS_3.0 release (RPM's). Both good
- LTSP solutions can be provided commercially and as a _managed service_
but not in the Becta sense by a number of companies, names and addresses
supplied off list

is it worth organising another workshop in Sandwell ? try to make it
free, bring you own servers and clients and see what we can get working?

Malcolm