List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Re:[2]  [suse-linux-uk-schools] migrating
From:       "Mark Evans" <mpe () st-peters-high ! devon ! sch ! uk>
Date:       2002-01-28 12:47:07

> "Alex Brett" <alex.brett@brettcomputers.co.uk> wrote on 27/01/02
> 09:03:20:
> >
> >We currently do not have the correct permissions on the file shares
> >as most of them were originally setup by Tiny who installed the
> >server and they just set Everyone Full Control.  We have been
> >going through fixing it but not got very far!  He wants Win2K
> >because we are having problems with Win2K Workstations
> >connecting properly on to the network - it might just be a policy
> >thing rather than a server thing - i'm not sure.
>
> Be clever with linux permissions - use features like SGUID (chmod 2xxx
> folder) and also your smb.conf settings for the share:
>
> force group = pupils
>
> This will mean that you can then assign permissions to selected groups
> with considerable ease.  Check that the users are also members of
> additional groups as appropriate.  Hey presto.

Won't the force group override whatever
the group settings are for that user?
Effectivly making any user who can access
the share a member of the group...

> RE: hiding shares from view ...
>
> Make sure the shares on the linux box (apart from netlogon) are marked
>
> browseable = no
>
> They do not then show in the output of net view or the windows explorer
> etc.

One thing which would be useful would be to
have a share which only shows up when the
combination of "valid users" and "allow hosts"
would allow access. But is otherwise invisible.
A bit like the way in which user shares work.

But there dosn't appear to be an obvious way to
do this.

--
Mark Evans
St. Peter's CofE High School