List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: Why can't I telnet?
From:       Dave Williams <David () williams333 ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-12-16 11:11:26

>From: Paul <smartart@blueyonder.co.uk>
>You're not tryinf to gain access as root, are you?

No but I've enabled ftp as root

>From: Chris Howells <chrish@gmx.co.uk>
>Don't use telnet, it's evil. Remove it, and install ssh instead.
>See how you get on with that.

I assume you mean evil as in low security - I accept that but my
lan uses unencrypted passwords and all sorts of other weaknesses
- telnet gives me quick and simple access without too much hassle
- normally.

>From: "Old, Julian              [IES]" <J.Old@lmu.ac.uk>

>Dave,

>Don't know much suse specific but
>Have a look if you have tcpwrapper config files
>hosts.allow and hosts.deny probably in /etc
>these allow fine control over user/host/app which is allowed in
>for full syntax do
>man hosts.allow
>for quick and dirty enable everything put
>ALL:ALL
>as the only line in hosts.allow

>Julian Old

Tried ALL:ALL in hosts.allow - no change

>From: Damian Counsell <linux@counsell.com>
>Here's a summary of setting up telnet for linux:
>http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&threadm=3AF2B5B9.1010702%40corel.com
>, but Chris is right; telnet is indeed evil.

This is an interesting thread - I've compared the files on a working
server and hosts, hosts.allow, hosts.deny, nsswitch.conf on the working
and non working machines seem the same.

When attempt to telnet the client reports

connecting
connected
remote has closed the connection

Anyone got any other ideas?