List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] SuSE 7.3 Network Problems
From:       Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-12-15 12:55:40

 --- Alistair Williamson
<alistair_williamson@btinternet.com> wrote: > Hi All,

> I am running SuSE 7.3 on what is to be a network
> server for a school.
>
> My problem is, I can't get any network cards to
> work?

Strange. How old are the network cards that you are
trying to use?? What make are they?

> I know the cards (I have 4) all work - and indeed in
> other flavours of
> Linux.
>
> I have now stripped the machine down to 1 card and
> reloaded SuSE. The card
> is auto detected and configured. I have set an IP
> address of
> 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0, but I can't ping into or
> out of the machine
> (other machines on the same network have no problems
> pinging each other).

I'd be interested in seeing an output of the command
"ifconfig"...... especially, as you say that you
cannot ping anywhere. Are you using DHCP to pick up
hostnames??? Or are you adding entries in "/etc/hosts"
manually???

> I am able to ping localhost - and that works OK
> (should prove the card is
> working).

I would suspect that the reason you are able to ping
localhost (usually 127.0.0.1/2) is because this has
been set up as a lo (loopback) device. This ping never
reaches another computer, it merely pings itself
internally.

> All the hardware works correctly with other flavours
> of Linux (I have
> e-smith on another drive).
>
> I will buy (several) pints for anyone who can help
> me solve this one!

It's your lucky day...I don't drink!! I would say,
that if you posted me a copy of your ifconfig output
results, then maybe I can help you further.

Of course, the other thing to check is the following:

In "/etc/nsswitch.conf", there should be a line:

"hosts:      dns files"

make sure that you add the word all to the list, so
that it looks like the following:

"hosts:      dns files all"

See if that has any effect.

HTH,