List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] NHS Meeting, Blair and Gates
From:       "Robb Bloomfield" <rbloomfield () royallatin ! schoolzone ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-12-04 9:34:24

> Perhaps you'd care to point out exactly why you did subscribe to this
> list? And why you obviously don't think that the MS monopoly and
> business practices are relevant to a list discussing the use of linux
> in schools?

I subscribed to this list because I'm a Linux user, and I'm a Network
Manager in a school.  Is that okay?  As far as the Microsoft monopoly is
concerned, no one is forced to use it.  There are many schools on this list,
and many of them don't use Windows at all.  You have a choice, and other
people have theirs, so stop slating people who choose to use it.

> Perhaps you'd then further like to explain why you're so sensitive
> about MS being knocked? What exactly is your business/personal
> relationship with that firm?

Because I'm sick of it.  Every where you go around the Open Source
community, it's MS did this, and MS did that, and this sucks and that sucks.
So don't use it.  I personally don't like Turbo Linux, but I don't go round
complaining about them and complaining about the people that choose to use
it.  As far as a business/personal relationship goes, i don't have one,
aside from the fact that I seem to be their only satisfied customer...

> > Well, Microsoft, you've got my support. I have been a Microsoft
> > user for a long time, and always will be.
>
> 'nuff said. There's obviously no point in you subscribing to a linux
> list is there then, so why did you subscribe in the first place? A bit
> of trolling perhaps to pass the time?

Excuse me?!?!?!  This is what offends me the most.  Since when has it been
written in your scared GPL that Linux users aren't allowed to use Microsoft
*as well*.  And I've explained why I subscribed, not that it's any of your
business....as for trolling, try scrolling through your inbox, you might
notice one or two posts by me...

> Unix has been around for >30 yrs & doesn't need your immature views on
> maturity.

Touche it seems...

> With `help' from self-declared Windows blow-hards like yourself
> wasting peoples time and posting nothing but nonsense, then nothing
> good will come of it.

Ooops, sorry there we go again, yes I use Winows, commit me for christ
sake...

> The most pathetic thing being that you've complained about a post from
> the guy who runs the list. I suggest that in this case Roger's got a
> rather better idea of what's on-topic then you have with regards the
> use of linux in schools, and even in the unlikely circumstance that he
> hasn't, he's got a certain entitlement to post to his own list hasn't

Never implied he didn't have.  My complaint was that this was a list for
Linux in schools, which is what i want to read about, not some crusade
against the NHS business practices.  As far as the "i'm a tax payer" rant
goes, there are many. many things I don't want my taxes going to.  Do I get
arsey about every single one and let everyone know about?? No.
Complaining about Exam boards only accepting Proprietary software is all
well and good, it affects us, here and now.  What the NHS do with their cash
I couldn't give a damn about.

To summarise,. it seems I opened a right can of worms yesterday, some
offering support, some not, but in the long run, I won't be unsubscribing
for now,. as the list seems to be returning to what i like to read, how to
use Linux in education...... so thanks Jon, this seems to be your fault.. :)

Robb