List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] NHS Meeting, Blair and Gates
From:       "Mark Evans" <mpe () st-peters-high ! devon ! sch ! uk>
Date:       2001-12-03 12:50:53

> This list is very largely devoted to technical questions surrounding the
> use of Linux in general and linux in schools in particular, and that's

Issues of things like licencing are however highly complex,
if not "technical". Often involving a lot of money, staff time
and frustration...

> what it's for and what I originally set it up for.
>
> I think that it is naive to believe that one can be in some sense
> 'neutral' about these matters - if you are interested in Linux and hope to

IME you cannot be "neutral" where you in anyway threaten the
interests of a "status quo". Which can equate to not giving them
100% support and advocacy or being tinyist cynical about their
actions.

Entrenched interests tend to be very big on "if you are not
for me you are against me". In other words if you are not
totally pro Microsoft (which most likely excludes anyone on
this list) then you are already "the enemy" to Microsoft.

> see it being more widely used, then you are also likely to take an
> interest in the business practices of a company which regards Linux as
> 'the greatest threat' (words taken from a leaked internal memo) to its

IIRC they regard "open source" (especially the GNU licence)
in this way.

> dominance of the market and which has a history of using unfair and
> illegal means to consolidate its market position.  As a citizen, I think

A history of sucessfully using means which breach both the letter
and the spirit of the law.

> you might also be likely to take an interest in the way in which your
> government proposes to spend your money.

As well as *who* they choose to spend it with.

--
Mark Evans
St. Peter's CofE High School