List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    RE: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Forced to use MS in schools?
From:       "Grainge,  Derek" <DGG () wellington-college ! berks ! sch ! uk>
Date:       2001-11-28 18:18:25

In the old days when Microsoft at least pretended to use Java, it required a
digital certificate before a Java app could access your local files. You had
to agree to a BT certificate (of whoever was your EDI provider).    This is
the way things still are under Java, providing controllable access to local
files

We have all rehearsed the reasons why ActivX is bad technology, as iare many
of the scripting services.  Unfortunately it's got nothing to do with the
law.   You might rephrase your question:

If webexchange requires activX to be given access to the local drive, what
step are WebExchange taking to ensure that the door remains remains closed
when they're not accessing files?

The answer will of course be a proverbial lemon.   And that's where you may
be able to have them.   However, their response will simply be that if you
don't like the product, try another.   This comes under the heading of
'identifying the needs of the user'.  Not unfortunately 'identifying with'.

*ALL* browsers support Java 2 with the correct Sun support installed.  But
that requires more R&D than ActivX, given Microsoft's current and still
hardening attitude to Java.

> > > as stated in the Requirements, WebXchange requires Internet Explorer 4
or
> > > greater. The reason is explained on the Support page:
> > > Q: Why can't I use the Netscape web browser?
> > > A: WebXchange uses Microsoft's Active-X technology to allow the
transparent
> > > transfer of files from and to your computer hard drive, which Netscape
> > > browsers do not natively support.
> > Any thoughts?
>
> How about:
>
> "Dear Mr Moran,
>
> Personally, I prefer to avoid using web technologies that can
> transparently transfer files from and to my computer's hard drive.  Some
> computers that I use hold information that is confidential, such as
> medical details, and I would be violating various laws[1] if I were not to
> take reasonable precautions to protect this information.

All mail sent and received may be examined to prevent transmission
of inappropriate attachments and certain obscenities.
Wellington College does not accept responsibility for email contents.
Problems to postmaster@wellington-college.berks.sch.uk.