List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    I broke my graphical login
From:       Matt Johnson <johnsonmlw () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-11-26 8:47:02

Folks,

I seem to have broken GDM! I have a RedHat 7.2 box
here, and all was working fine.

Until yesterday, I had a shiny graphical login (GDM).
Now when I boot I get a text login. I've tried to get
around this in the following ways:

I've typed 'init 5'. It thinks it's already at init 5!
I've typed 'init 3', and it's happy. Then typed 'init
5' - fails (with a red 'failed' by wine). Back to
shell prompt.

I've typed GDM after logging in, and it reports it's
already running! So I killall GDM, and type GDM again.
Nothing.

So I try KDM - that works! BUT, I want a graphical
login from the word go, not after loging in as root to
start KDM (and I'd rather use GDM anyhoo).

I'm not bothered about this bit, unless it's linked to
the graphical login problem... When I start Gnome, it
reports that it couldn't look up a hostname for
itself. It says to add a line to /etc/hosts, but I
have DHCP client working from a cable modem, which has
been fine until now. And, I can still use the net as
usual, so it's working (right?).

1) What logs do I check (where are they?)
2) Erm...what do I do to fix it?
(KDM would be okay, but GDM would be better)

Much thanks in advance...

--
Matt