List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Licensing fees
From:       "Paul Munro" <paul.munro1 () btinternet ! com>
Date:       2001-07-27 18:48:05

Microsoft do offer some very good deals when you consider educational =
subsidisation etc., and not just for schools per se. For students and =
teachers (as well as parents of students), MS offer the student license =
deal which has helped us purchase otherwise extremely costly software! =
For schools, when I worked at our local Tec College, the price per seat =
was around =A350, and =A31500 for the server(s) I'm pretty sure (but =
this came with some support).

Someone (Vernon Levy) raised the spectre of lesson content, and said =
that it shouldn't matter too much whether we teach OS concepts or not, =
implying possibly that ICT only has a support element when connected =
with education (to enrich existing subjects through the use of ICT). =
This is why (I feel) ICT in this country is going down the pan! This is =
also not helped by the MS dominance in the educational market, since =
Windows isn't good for teaching OS concepts anyway. Applications such as =
word processing can be taught no matter the application used, and the =
underlying concepts are so important that knowing how to change fonts =
in, say, Word, isn't enough to do it in Application X or Y in another OS =
(though an extreme and useless example, I know ;-) OS concepts in =
particular are important for introducing budding hackers (not crackers) =
to computing power and application, and can lead to interest in other =
areas such as scientific applications of IT, programming, networking =
skills, development, and so on. Merely teaching Windows and Office will =
NOT IMO help bring up through the ranks enough skilled young people to =
make a difference in the UKs fast sinking skills base. The primary =
functions of operating systems is not necessarily to enrich the learning =
experience, though they certainly can do that, but instead to offer an =
interface between the user and the system resources to enable a more =
productive environment. This is what students need to learn- why an =
operating system works the way it does, when it does, what you can do =
with it, and how you can customise it to make it do things FOR you not =
only WITH you.

Enough of that, I'll go back to learning real ICT ;-)

Paul