List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    deployment on multiple machines
From:       Phil Driscoll <phil () dialsolutions ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-07-24 9:11:09

Progress on getting a good system running on the 32Mb machines we've been
given is going well. At some point over the summer holidays, we are going to
need to install a working system on 123 machines.

The machines all have 'blank' hard drives, a floppy drive and onboard realtek
ethernet NIC. I cannot guarantee that all the hard drives are identical,
although they are all about 3Gb.

The final setup on the machines will be basically Suse 7.2 with some tweaks -
I guess a lightweight kernel and, it currently looks like a hacked version of
icewm with all 'toys' removed.

All machines will be identical apart from IP address (fixed) and hostname.

It would be great to have a boot floppy which would bootstrap an installation
over the network. Does anyone have any experience in this area? Any advice on
suitable technologies gratefully received.

Cheers
--
Phil Driscoll