List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] software in schools/piracy
From:       "Edgehill e-mail service" <edgehillit () edgecoll ! clara ! net>
Date:       2001-07-23 15:13:53

For the record ...

----------
<Simon.Wood@pace.co.uk>; Schools List <suse-linux-uk-schools@suse.com>
> Subject: RE: [suse-linux-uk-schools] software in schools/piracy
> Date: 12 July 2001 06:34
>
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Coulton,G wrote:

<SNIP>

> snip
>
> I had to add my mite here as I don't agree at all. Your argument assumes
> you are moving from NT and learning Linux. I could set up a Linux server
> much quicker. It is only eXTREMELY time consuming if you start from
> knowing nothing about it. I would have the same problem in reverse if I
> ever succumbed to the suggestions I get to install NT - I refuse to do it

                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm a lifer with MS boxen (before that PDP's & CP-M/MP-M) - it took me
three weeks to install NT-4 server, configure the basic shape of the
services and build the user accounts database, and it took nearly 3 months
to learn how to do it (on top of a full support schedule). The only reason
it hasn't needed rebuilding is because it is a *simple* network system that
we run (and I have built a little automation into maintenance.)

I am migrating user-storage onto one of our Linux servers this holiday - it
took me 3 hours to install the OS, a few hours to design the storage layout
and if I need to perform another upgrade like the one which has required
this, then I don't even have to take the server offline during working
hours to do it.

>From my point of view, no contest. I can even run apps on the box while the
users are accessing the drives!