List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] How little memory can we get away with
From:       "Chris Howells" <chrish () gmx ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-07-10 9:40:16

> From: Derek Harding <hardingd@warlingham.surrey.sch.uk>
> > I'd forget StarOffice, and look at KOffice, but then I am slightly
biased
> > ;)
>
> I've never got KOffice to run stable enough to use! What's your secret?

Disclaimer: I have no idea how KOffice would cope in an education
environment.

I'm a Sixth Former at the moment, and I'm currently in the school Library,
and typing this on a 486DX4 @ 100MHz, running Win 95. Unfortuantely, the
school are heavy investors in RM crap, and I think
NT4(servers)/Win95(desktops) is used throughout the school :(

The first thing it to forget KOffice 1.0.

KOffice 1.1beta is a *masssive* improvement over KOffice 1.0, and even the
betas are significantly better. Before the final KOffice 1.0 release, there
will be a release candidate and another beta as well.

So basically,  I would download the beta and try it -- it's really good
IMHO. But then I'm slightly biased as I said (I help develop koffice.org
and I'm trying to teach my self C++/Qt/KDE development).

THe release schedule and resources are available on KOffice.org.

Chris Howells