List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    More than 64Mb memory and linux
From:       "npauli" <npauli () st-johns ! org ! uk>
Date:       2001-06-17 19:16:40

Dear All,

Late last week I installed an extra 128Mb memory on the linux box I use to
run  squid to take it up to 192Mb.

Disaster!!!

Over the weekend the server crashed. I couldn't get it to reboot sensibly.
When I did get it going something was steadily grabbing more and more memory
and I couldn't even start up a terminal to look for the process.

I tried to reinstall Mandrake 7.2 and then Redhat 6.2 and with both the
installs just locked up or crashed.

So I've taken the new memory out and am reinstalling Mandrake 7.2 and this
time it seems to be working.

Does anyone know where the problem might be? On each install the all the
memory was detected. The memory was of the right sort but was fairly cheap
stuff (major on 3rd - whatever that means) from www.redstore.com . For a
while the added memory worked well and made an appreciable difference to the
machine - but now...

Should I upgrade to the 2.4 kernel?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer on this.

Nigel Pauli
St. John's School, Northwood