List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Intranet
From:       Phil Driscoll <phil () dialsolutions ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-06-13 11:26:21

On Tuesday 12 June 2001 22:45, Dave Williams wrote:
> Thanks for all the really useful advice. The main problem I have with
> squid is that I have not found a way to connect it to our LEA proxy which
> uses Igear login software. The LEA proxy is provided "free" via an ISDN
> line.
>
> I have asked about this before - anyone know how this can be done?

The schools in Leeds have a similar problem - the IGear login and content
filtering stuff being proxy unfriendly.

I knocked up a solution in PHP my local school which should work on Linux and
NT.

At the proxy server machine you need to login to the I-Gear system - and if
you have content filtering based on the age of the pupil then you need to
login as an age suitable for delivering content to the entire school (we
chose a year 11 pupil) or you need to have a seperate proxy for each year
group. Once logged in, the php script keeps requesting a web page of your
choosing from the proxy at a suitable interval which will keep the I-Gear
login alive (we do it every 5 minutes).

The script can be configured to keep polling between certain hours and on
certain days so that the ISDN connection can be dropped outside school hours
if you are paying the bill.

I released the software under the GPL and you can download a copy from

http://www.dialsolutions.com/phil/php/lln_poller.zip

Clearly, you will need to change the address of the I-Gear machine from its
current setting which points to the Leeds Learning Network.

Cheers
--
Phil Driscoll