List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Office LAN on the web the nitty gritty
From:       "manager" <manager () enorf ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2001-05-23 7:27:42

----- Original Message -----

> Ok, I've been playing with the networks. The office has a peer to peer
> (?)setup of three machines using win98 protocols. The only IP is the one
> installed recently for a printer/photo copier they now have.
>
> I've plugged their network into my hub (they continue operating separate
> from me (The linux served network). I assumed I could just point their
> browsers at squid but it didn't work. I even tried ALLOW ALL in SQUID.
>
> What am I missing (something simple) or is there a physical piece of
> equipment I need)

OK.  The way we have it here is a windows network. You *don't* need anything
more than a net card, drivers, a windows tcp/ip stack and an IP address. We
have a DHCP server running which provides IP addresses for all boxes. The
DHCP provides default gateway and DNS settings, this is needed because squid
only does HTTP and we have a usenet feed.

User starts up windows box, ignores any login nonsense and fires up browser.
Browser says how do you want to connect. We say LAN and set up proxy -
machine name + port 3128. I've had all sorts of problems with LMHosts files
so I usually end up putting in the (internal) IP address of the proxy. Once
this is done the  user *should* be able to get out.

Check the ip range that squid is using.

One other point, we have a firewall running which also does NAT so if squid
falls over, we can go out directly.

This e-mail is intended for the addressee shown. It contains information that is confidential
and protected from disclosure. Any review, dissemination or use of this transmission or its
contents by persons or unauthorized employees of the intended organisations is strictly prohibited.

The contents of this email do not necessarily represent the views or policies of
East Norfolk Sixth Form College, it's employees or students.