List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Multi-site ADSL setup - comments wanted
From:       Gary Stainburn <gary.stainburn () ringways ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-04-20 15:12:09

Hi all,

I've been asked to look at the existing setup for a local adult
education authority (sorry don't know correct terminology/TLA's).

Currently they have 5 centres which each have a Planet gateway.  This
gateway consists of a closed headless Linux box connected to an ISDN
router.  It performs caching and mail server functionality and is
administered via a web browser.
It does not do NAT/masq as each PC as a public IP address.  They only
have a limited number of IP, so each site has a finite network size.

This setup works quite well, but the phone bills are quite
extortionate.  I have looked at conventional kilostream connection, but
the cost of this is comparable with the current phone bills.

I have therefore had a look at ADSL, as BT's Openworld is available to
most of the sites.  The Openworld 500 Business is only £150 install +
£70/qtr and appears as a 4 port eithernet hub.  It gives 512K
downstream and 256k upstream.

On the end of this I would then put  a Linux box with squid, Masq,
ipchains, etc., and hang the network off the back of it.

The only problem I can see is that the ADSL connection is dynamic IP,
which means that the site could possibly move without warning.  This
will of course stuff any inbound traffic such as email.

To get round this, I thought about co-hosting a box somewhere and use
that as the mail gateway.

After all that waffle, I have only a few simple questions.

1) Has anyone had experience with BT openworld? does the service
perform as quoted? Is the Dynamic IP *really* dynamic, or are they just
saying that?

2) Can anyone see any gaping holes in this setup?

3) Assuming that dynamic means dynamic, does anyone have suggestions on
how I can deliver the mail.  Ideally, I would like to push the mail
using standard smtp if possible rather than using fetchmail etc.

4)  As technical info is not very forthcoming from BT, can anyone
explain how, if the link is presented as  a 4-port ethernet hub, does
it manage dynamic IP?  Is it done at the router stange and then NAT'd
before it appears on the hub?

5) Can anyone come up with a better setup?

Cheers,

--
Gary Stainburn