List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] telneting to my machine
From:       Giles Nunn <giles () satproj ! org ! uk>
Date:       2001-03-28 6:03:46

telnet can take an extra paramater - the port number. The simplest test
would go something like this: (typed input marked *)

* telnet localhost smtp (or telnet localhost 25)
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.

followed by eg.

220 [FQDN of host] ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.3/SuSE Linux 8.9.3-0.1; Wed, 28 Mar 2001 06:49:45 GMT
* helo giles
250 tornado.satproj.org.uk Hello TheGate.ysgolccc.org.uk [193.132.109.42],
pleased to meet you
* mail from: giles@jaus.net
250 giles@jaus.net... Sender ok
* rcpt to: giles@satproj.org.uk
250 giles@satproj.org.uk... Recipient ok
* data
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
* subject: Test message
* This is a test message
* .
250 GAA12783 Message accepted for delivery
* quit
221 tornado.satproj.org.uk closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

If this works then you get a simple message in delivered to localhost (or
to giles@satproj.org.uk in the above example). If it doesn't work then
sendmail is not configured correctly. If you get any response to the
telnet command then there is something running on the smtp port, which
will normally declare itself as above (this can be disabled for the
security paranoid admin)

This principle can be used to test any service eg pop3, imap etc

HTH

Giles Nunn - Network Manager
Carms Schools ICT Development Centre
Tel: +44 01239 710662   Fax: 710985