List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: SAMBA setup
From:       "Alan Davies" <staff.asd () birkenhead ! wirral ! sch ! uk>
Date:       2000-12-04 13:11:50

On Mon 04 Dec, Gary Stainburn wrote:

> All this info is available if you do a 'man smbmount' and 'man swat'

Well...yes...and no. The manual is short on 'examples' and assumes you know
the terminology as applicable in that particular area.  And while it says
what you can do - it doesn't say what you can't.

I hadn't realised that swat could not be run from the command line. (why?)

However, it now works.  Many thanks.

smbmount //server/share /mnt/mountpoint

This did not work at first until I had created a folder called mountpoint (or fred
or whatever).  In fact - I wasn't sure what mountpoint meant - and thought it was
referring to the remote system.

Why do you need to create a folder?   (...thinks, would it be better if the mount point
was created automatically - possibly using the 'share' name in the mnt folder?)

I've since looked on samba.org site....which said that due to new shortcomings with Qt library
smbsh would not work any more.  Should have read that first!

--
Alan Davies
Head of Computing