List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Interesting Site
From:       Malcolm Herbert <malc () ngfl ! gov ! uk>
Date:       2000-11-22 1:23:42

hi

picked this up off the K12Linux list, of interest ?

>I just came across a Linux web-based student
>management solution for schools that is written in PHP
>and uses MySQL as a database. It looks pretty
>comprehensive to me so I thought that I would pass on
>the information. There is an online demo @ the web
>site. I couldn’t find where you can download the
>source from, but the site is:
>http://www.schoolmation.com
>There are a bunch of resources that are free to use on
>the site, that look like they could be helpful to
>teachers and students. The web-based student
>management system is the most interesting thing. It
>lets parents log-in to look at a student's grades,
>attendance, home-work, etc… I am going to investigate
>it more and thought that I would let you know about
>t.
>Hugh

a quick look at the site seems to confirm that the 'Open Source' nature of
the site is uncertain, Open Source software used in the development, but is
it really Open Source?

Malcolm

Dr Malcolm Herbert
Head of Technology Research and Evaluation
Becta
Tel: 02476 847126 Mobile: 07801 62438
"I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and
democracy - but that could change."
...Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 5/22/98